all about organic makeup and skin care — going as natural as we can
Organic Skin Care and Organic Makeup header image... Refresh for more!

Make Your Own Organic Skin Care — With Strawberry!

To continue on the subject of organic skin care not needing to be expensive (link) I decided to dedicate another post to a do it yourself skin care. Specifically, today I’d like to talk about strawberry.

Yes. I know it’s still the dead of winter. But there will come a time when strawberry will be cheap and abundant. And wouldn’t you want to be prepared?

Besides, for some stranger reason strawberry has been on sale this past couple of weeks in all my grocery stores. I know it isn’t local or anything. But delicious strawberry this time a year really helps to take the blues away… And makes summer seem more real.

Now how does strawberry tie to organic skin care?

First of all, it is a natural exfoliant. Its gentle acidic nature can take care of all those flaky dead cells on top of the skin. It’s salicylic acid is a good combatant for acne and black heads. Strawberry also has antiseptic and skin lighting properties.

Plus it has all those wonderful vitamins and antioxidants. And don’t forget folic acid, which is essential for healthy new cells! No wonder strawberry is such a star in the do it yourself skin care department.

So how to go about making a strawberry mask?

It really is easy.  You don’t even need any special skills or tools. In fact, it’s so easy and cheap that I still don’t understand why would anybody go to an expensive salon and pay hundreds of dollars for a skin mask…

If you have oily skin, all you need is strawberry and a fork. Just mush it up and apply on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes. Than rinse with lukewarm water.

If your skin is dry, add sunflower oil to the mush (1:1). Leave the mask on your face for 15 – 20 minutes. (You can also use olive or corn oil).

Strawberry juice is a great skin lightener. It’s effective for freckles and other spots. Just squeeze the juice out of the berries, then using a cotton ball spread the juice on the face.

And here are a couple of slightly more elaborate recipes:

Mix 5 strawberries with 1 table spoon of milk and one tea spoon of honey. Blend it into a state of purée. Spread the mixture on your face for 15 to 20 minutes. Gently wash off with warm water using a cotton ball.

For dry skin you may also try mixing a few strawberries with one teaspoon of sour cream and one teaspoon honey. This is especially good for flaky skin.

You can also use cream (2-3 teaspoons) and milk (1 tbl spoon or so).

I hope you enjoy these recipes and feel more summery too! Treat yourself to a natural skin care spa. It will cost you a few cents at most. Which is a great thought to help you relax and enjoy being pampered guilt free.

Related Articles

24 comments

1 mercola - health articles { 02.24.09 at 1:28 am }

this is trouble for me. i don’t think i can create my own organic skin care using Strawberry. i rather eat the strawberries. LOL

2 julena { 02.24.09 at 8:32 am }

lol

The benefit is that after you spread it on your face you can clean it right back into your mouth, getting the best two for one there is :)

3 Kathleen Leroi { 02.24.09 at 2:18 pm }

Fruits can do some miraculous things. Especially if eaten or applied on a daily basis or an amount your physician prescribes.

Here’s an article that that shows you the specific fruits … top fruits, really!

Kathleen Leroi

4 Stretchmark Staff { 02.24.09 at 8:04 pm }

Strawberries as a skin care product? I’ve never thought of that. You really have some fact behind it though. Maybe I’ll give it a try

5 Lynn { 03.02.09 at 1:22 am }

Wow. I love these ideas. I come from a family where whatever my mom was cooking almost always ended up on her face by the end of the cooking process! Her skin is like a china dolls to this day @ age 65 so there must be some validity to it, yeah? I think so. I will be trying these tips for my dry skin and then telling you how I fared. Thanks.

My best, Lynn

6 Lynn { 03.02.09 at 1:23 am }

I will definitely be using the strawberries.

7 Maria Mills { 03.02.09 at 1:34 pm }

The term “Natural” and “Organic” do not mean the same thing. .. The market is full of body care products labeled “natural.” Natural is a marketing term. Organic products are made with ingredients grown without any synthetic chemicals or genetically modified organisms. When looking for skin care products, look for skin care products that are CHEMICAL FREE and organic. .remember, natural holds no substance to the USDA, but Organic does. . my personal recommendation for health is the Made from Earth skin care line. They us ereal plant and fruits in their skin care, and don’t use any chemicals to preserve them….their face cream, the 3 Berry serum, is my favorite because it is full of antioxidants from the organic blueberries and cranberries it has inside it….it is highly recommended..

Best of luck staying healthy!

8 NOE { 03.05.09 at 12:00 pm }

I’m a vegitarian and a organic sapoter!

9 Health Care Tips { 03.05.09 at 11:39 pm }

Thanks for sharing. I love eating strawberries and I consider it as one my happy food.
I will try it as my new skin care product.

Thanks again

10 Dani { 03.06.09 at 12:20 am }

Homemade skin lotions are really great, especially if you have allergies or sensitive skin. Also, you would be surprised at some of the toxic ingredients used even in high quality lotion brands…

11 Passing the organic torch « Makeup(con)Artist { 10.17.09 at 1:13 pm }

[...] one post really caught my eye. Titled “Make Your Own Organic Skin Care-With Strawberry!“, this blog shows that organic doesn’t need to be expensive, and in fact, can be fun [...]

12 Camille { 04.26.10 at 11:23 am }

Just soak the strawberries in cold water with about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and about a teaspoon of sea salt for ten minutes. Rinse in cold water and that’s supposed to get rid of some of the pestcides they use for strawberries(if you don’t have organically grown berries).

13 julena { 07.31.10 at 10:08 pm }

Thank you for the tip!

14 Thomas { 09.11.10 at 9:06 pm }

I am hoping that so many more people will learn how important organic is for your overall health. The more I learn and research preservatives in skin care and body products, the more I get scared about products that on our shelves! Go organic when possible and natural is the second choice. Research it yourself now, before you start to have problems!

15 Scalp Health { 09.18.10 at 2:17 pm }

My hair and my scalp had serious problems until I started using products that were more natural and eventually using ingredients that were organic to eliminate my dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis actually). Eliminating all the excess chemicals makes a huge difference1

16 Bobbie { 09.24.10 at 4:17 pm }

You can buy freeze dried strawberries and use them instead of fresh. That way you can use year round and save some cash at the same time. Google freeze dried foods for places like Emergency Essentials for places to purchase all sorts of fruits.

17 Skin Rashes.org { 10.01.10 at 10:33 am }

Natural works so much better for skin care problems i can’t even begin to tell you the number of people that have tried all these steroids and other prescribed medicines for eczema and psoriasis but when they start using more natural products like dead sea salts and muds the results are so much better without the serious side affects of typical medicines. i know that you can’t always use natural but i would always give a try first.

18 natali { 10.30.10 at 8:34 am }

great blog, love the tips, clear and to the point! Organic living is the way to go!

19 body wrap { 04.10.11 at 9:18 pm }

Natural formulas are always best. Especially if they are made frech at home. Thank you Julena for the inspired organic skin care ideas!

20 Carnival of Beauty Smarts: The Oscar After Party - 2nd Edition | One "Beautiful" Blog { 05.10.11 at 2:42 pm }

[...] you love strawberries? Then you might really enjoy Julena’s blog on Make Your Own Organic Skin Care — With Strawberry! posted at Organic Makeup and Skin [...]

21 Make you Fink on Friday « Eco-Crap { 10.14.11 at 7:38 am }

[...] Organic Makeup and Skin Care Check it out, more great [...]

22 mimimimi { 05.16.12 at 12:40 am }

Make Your Own Organic Skin Care — With Strawberry! — Organic Makeup and Skin Care Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

23 Chase Mosley { 06.01.12 at 7:18 am }

What does this organic make up does ?

24 abigail { 10.06.12 at 1:11 am }

i will just try and do all these.