all about organic makeup and skin care — going as natural as we can
Organic Skin Care and Organic Makeup header image... Refresh for more!

Best Organic Makeup Lines

There is a rumor going around that while it’s possible to find organic or natural skin care, when it comes to organic makeup, the waters are much murkier…

Well, to an extent that’s true. There are many more companies that make organic creams and masks, then those that make lipsticks and mascaras. But that doesn’t mean that there is nothing out there. And to prove it, I’ve made a thorough search, and profiled some of the best organic (and mostly certified) makeup choices around the world.

I posted the whole list here: “World’s Best Organic Makeup Lines”. The list includes organic makeup lines and natural makeup lines that may or may not be around your area, but at least some you should definitely be able to find!

Now, the criteria I used when searching was whether the makeup is certified, is free of synthetics, parabens, and not testing on animals. Despite the fact that I know that not all certifications are created equal, a lack of one is also telling. For example, there is a New Zealand brand that is “natural” and mostly “organic” or “wild harvested”, called “Living Nature”, but it is not certified. When I looked closer into it, I realized that they add synthetic ingredients, such as colors into their lipstick. Since that’s precisely what I’m trying to avoid, I’m not featuring them on my page (though I will gladly do so if they discontinue the use of synthetics). Sukicolour, however is an exception. While I could not find any information on certificates, upon studying the ingredients and information available about the line, I came to conclusion that there are no synthetic ingredients or preservatives, and therefore it falls into the “as natural as possible” category.

If you know other trusted, tested, and honest brands, please drop me a note. Good natural and/or organic makeup is still a developing sector in the beauty market, and every effort should be made to encourage manufacturers to provide us with effective choices. There is absolutely no reason why we should sacrifice health for beauty. And there is absolutely no reason why we should be eating poison in our lipsticks or putting poison on our eyes. Nature has provided us with abundant resources for facial art (for that’s what makeup really is :) ). Just look out on a field of wild flowers, and you’ll see that nature’s pallet has everything an artist could ever dream of and more.

Some of the lines featured are: Lavera, Logona, Physician’s Formula, Dr. Haushcka, SukiColour, NveyEco, SANTE Cosmetics, etc…

I hope that this list continues on growing, as new items enter the market. And as I find out about them :)

Related Articles

12 comments

1 Erin Ely { 06.27.08 at 12:57 am }

I would like to tell you about one more organic make-up line by Miessence. Miessence has a very nice and clean organic mineral powder. There is not Titanium Dioxide, no silicone coatings, no nanoparticles. It’s very simple and has a certification from the Biological Farmers of Australia.

Miessence Medium Mineral Powder
Complete Ingredients list:
Sericite Mica, Zinc Oxide, Organic Rose Otto Essential Oil, May Contain: +/- Iron Oxides

Regards,
Erin

2 Dr. Anne Son { 12.14.08 at 7:31 pm }

I liked your website, and coverage of organic cosmetics a lot. However, I was disappointed that you did not mention toxicity as an important point while considering organic alternatives. Dr Hauschka for example lists talc in almost every powder and eye shadow formulation. Talc is a known carcinogen. This completely defeats the purpose of moving away from harmful synthetics. Hope next time you can include carcinogenicity/toxicity in your evaluation credentials as well, since I think a lot of women consider this as their primary reason to move to organics in the first place.

3 julena { 12.14.08 at 11:34 pm }

Dr. Anne Son:

Thanks for your comment. I wonder if all talc is known carcinogen? From my research the research on that is a bit contentious. But I’m not a scientist, so I cannot vouch either way. However I do know that the talc in Dr. Hauschka’s products is certified as asbestos free. FDA consideres non-asbestiform talc to be generally recognised as safe.

The brands I listed are the purest I could find. Dr. Hauschka is fully compliant with BDIH, so overall when selecting safer makeup products these are still much better choice than what you’d find in the mainstream. But it never hurts to raise these kinds of issues with companies in the hopes that they (or their competitors) continue looking for even better options.

4 Stepp { 03.10.09 at 7:30 am }

Hi Julena,
You write: “If you know other trusted, tested, and honest brands, please drop me a note.” I will… Right now ;-)
Paul Penders (www.paulpenders.com) is a company producing natural organic cosmetics. It has been on the market for more than 40 years and belongs to some of the most honest players on the cosmetic market. I am not saying this because I write their daily blog. I am saying it because I have got to know about the cosmetic business through my writing. I have learned how “easy” it is to get a “certified organic” label. Unfortunately, it’s all too easy! Paul Penders has recently written about his thoughts on the certification process on our blog http://www.paulpenders.com/ppblog. It gives an interesting insight in the certifying process.
On the blog there is also an entry about natural organic lipsticks, WITHOUT any synthetic color added – or other chemicals for that sake. It also tells what is used instead, and about the difficulties you run into, when it has to be pure organic without ANY chemicals added at all.
And, by the way: None of the products has EVER been tested on animals!

5 Elizabeth Palm { 09.09.09 at 8:53 pm }

I have been a vegetarian for almost two years and am just beginning my research into organic makeup (as I heard about the dangers of phthalates and it dawned on me that I should be just as concerned with what I put on my body as I do about what I put into it!) However, I have been using Beare Minerals for five years, an organic skin foundation line, and Renee Rouleau skin care products for about two years. Both are great product lines and have not been tested on animals and do not contain any synthetic fragrances or parabans. I especially love Renee Rouleau products as they and have lines of products for nine different skin types (including mine which is for oily, sensitive skin, which is hard to find products for). Also, in my research, I have found out about Tarte and Cover FX—which are organic as well and have good reviews. I am going to give a few of their products a try and will update you all. Hope this helps!

6 Elizabeth Palm { 10.12.09 at 7:17 pm }

Update: Sadly, I have found I was wrong about Renee Rouleau—although it doesn’t contain phathalates and isn’t tested on animals it DOES contain parabans. I will miss using their products, but I have hope that maybe enough people will speak up and they will get rid of the parabans and I can go back to using them. I am using Dr. Hauska right now and although I am happy it is chemical free, it is very expensive—$80 a bottle on average—and I find the products to be very astringent and harsh on my skin and the fragrance is unpleasant in my opinion. I am still not sure about Tarte (I am using some of their makeup). So far I like their eye shadow palates, but I am not impressed with their foundation (it is very heavy and cakey when applied, particularly when using their primer–which feels like a paste– as instructed) and their mascara was clumpy. (Regarding the mascara, I recently threw it away when I looked on the back label and found it is made in China.) I decided not to use Cover FX as it is for people who want full coverage (those with rosacea, scars, etc.) but it looks like a good brand—chemical free and not tested on animals. If anyone has any guidance on what organic (paraban and phathalate free) brands to use, please let me know.

7 rochelle { 12.16.10 at 12:54 pm }

Also……Informational website on toxicity levels (check the level of your products, I was surprised!).

8 emily reid { 01.02.11 at 9:30 am }

I had been looking everywhere for *truly* non-t0xic, safe products to use on my body and in my house. I’m sure you all have been to http://cosmeticdatabase.com/ and know that it’s a great resource, but just in case someone hasn’t I thought I’d post it. They rate the products on a scale of 1-10 on toxicity and you can enter any product that you have an ingredient list for. Chartreuse (www.boostmyeco.com) has great body and facial care, and home care products… but I need makeup!! They are working on a make-up line and it should be out soon (yay!), but until then I would love to find a dependable brand to trust my skin to. The cosmetic database is a good resource, but if anyone has any personal reviews of the less toxic companies I’d love to hear them.

9 Danielle { 01.04.11 at 6:03 pm }

Hi Elizabeth. Thankyou for your comments, I myself have been looking for a full coverage organic foundation and I will now look into Cover FX as you mentioned. If you are looking for a sheer coverage foundation I would recommend Miessence liquid foundation. I have been using this since I decided to move to using organic makeup, but I am finding that while it is a gorgeous product it is a little too sheer compared to what I am used to. I would highly recommend it for those wanting sheer cover though.

If anyone else knows of a really good certified organic foundation that provides full matt coverage I would appreciate any advice.

10 Ann { 11.11.11 at 11:59 pm }

Nude is an natural mineral organic makeup range is is highly recommended as one of the best. Although I have yet to try the product myself I have been to the cosmetic database and found the toxicity rating to be rather impressive.

11 Dawn Elton { 12.19.11 at 4:13 pm }

Thank you for the information that you have shared….I’m wondering about the organic skin care line from Dr. Mercola…? After reading the ingredients, they sounded pretty good, however, I am not a chemist or a lab person…..there may be things lurking in the list of ingredients that I wouldn’t pick up on. Wondering what your feedback on his products would be. Thank you.

12 Michelle Cox { 04.19.13 at 9:05 am }

I have recently come in contact with some incredible mineral eye shadows, body butters, and skincare through a new small company called Jordan Essentials. My gf in Michigan became a distributor and sent me som samples and the eyes shadows are amazing, the body butters are nice and there cleansers and serums are nice as well. I cannot and will not use toxic makeup, especially since I had a thyroidectomy. This has made it impossible for me due to extreme sensitivity to the chemical ladened products. I like some of Physicians Formula products but not all…I use my own Young Living skincare infused with essential oils ( I am a distributor) and people think I am in my 30’s and I will be 46 in June, so it must be working!! ;0) Still looking for lipsticks, foundations and mascara’s. ( Organix has one and its junk, so I use Benefits “They’re Real,” its the only one I found that doesn’t flake , or make me want to rip my eyes out. It is paraben and tar free and its great! Open to any other sugestions…